The Annual Space Survey is the basis for the University’s annual Facilities and Administrative (F&A) rates and is an important component of the rate proposal. The Office of Space Planning administers the space survey annually with the purpose of updating and maintaining the University’s space database – AIM. The Space Survey includes information that is important for internal and external reporting. It is utilized by our first responders, helps assess departmental space needs, and determines cost allocations.
What is the Importance of the Space Survey?
- Facilities and Administrative (F&A) costs
- Meet federal and state requirements
- Helps us validate the requirements for capital projects
- It’s a support mechanism to the University’s strategic planning initiatives
- Used to assess departmental space utilization and analysis
Budgeting and Planning
- Building and equipment depreciation tracking
- O & M costs associated with structures
The space survey is a collaborative process between academic and administrative groups campus-wide. The stewardship of NMSU’s facilities is the responsibility of the people who occupy them and the administrative units which oversee them. It is important to ensure that we keep our information up to date as there are many integrated systems that rely upon Facilities data accuracy.